Monday, July 21, 2008

Calm Amidst the Storm


I spent the day cleaning, organizing and generally trying to dissipate nervous energy - it didn't work.  I went to bed early hoping to find rest, but couldn't find it.  Madison, our summer neighbor, was over jumping on the trampoline this afternoon and when she was all tired out, she lay down and stared at the sky.  The sights and sounds of night can have a calming effect on the soul.  After my first retina detachment I spent nights out on the trampoline, listening to The Work and the Glory, and slept during the day.
The full moon is illuminating the clouds.  it's quite a sight for a Thursday evening.  I wouldn't trade it for any television program or book on tape.  I've found a new radio station, KUER 90.1 from the University of Utah.  I find the dialogue stimulating and lacking the "in your face" style of so many today.  I guess that's what I'm looking for; calm  amidst the storm.
My best friend from high school, Val Call, and his brother Mont, came to David's memorial service.  Mont asked if we could get together and talk.  I went over on Sunday and we carried on for eight hours with hardly a stop.  He's dealing with diabetes and alienation from his family and trying to put it all into perspective.  I don't know which is worse.  Of course alienation deepens diseases despair.  Isn't it the quality of our relationships that gives life it's meaning?
Where did the clouds go?  Did the moonbeams disperse them?  I see more clearly now and understand a little better, but for the most part, "I see through a glass darkly," yearning for mystical moments when illuminating clouds cast a spell of heavenly hope.

4 comments:

Wilcox Family said...

Uncle Paul, I love it...I thought about you the whole way home because I didn't get to help you set up your blog before I left. I see though that you have managed along just beautifully! I will check in often, love you I do!

Jana

Valerie Griswold said...

It is true that relationships bring meaning to our life. Beautiful sites and feelings are only brought to life by the people you share them with.

The blog is looking good! I always enjoy sharing "deep thoughts" with you dad. I'm glad I get to connect back to them over the aisles of miles, and through this trusty blue laptop. No matter where we go in life, we are who we are because of the family who pushed us to be better than we could be. I like seeing the complex web of family in the blogosphere - all going in different directions, yet coming from the same place and all the implications of our shared history. It really is amazing to see how alike we all are. I like to think we all have tender hearts because of Grandma Porter and the love she shows unconditionally. I'd say we're one lucky family.

Diane said...

I love listening to KUER, too, Paul. It's all I ever put on when I'm in my car. I agree with you, Val. If I could manifest half the strength and love that is Grandma Porter, I would be content.

Chelsea said...

BP,
Well, well, well, so we meet again well not really meeting in person but you get the picture. I was so excited to see that you have a blog and that I could get my "PROFOUND WORDS OF WISDOM FROM BP". Man oh man have missed them so now that i am back into hearing them i feel so rejuvinated. So Thanks. I hope to be able to keep in touch now that I know your blogging and all. We are coming up to utah in a couple of weeks and will for sure drop by and see the family.